Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

A perfect evening out.

I wrote a little blog yesterday on an article I read in the Star titled “Out of the blue”. Within hours of publishing I received numerous comments, all positive I might add, and thanking me for bringing this to their attention. My wife then received a text message from my daughter saying that the individual in the article, Jim Latimore, was the father of one of her old schoolmates. She went on to say that I had met him many years back and was wondering if I remembered? Well, to be honest, I did not, although I confessed to wondering about the name when I read the article. Later yesterday afternoon my daughter called and invited both my wife and me to dinner with Jim and his wife Pat at a local Mexican restaurant; his favorite I was told.
What an experience is all I can say. Here is an 89 year old gentleman who honestly looks more like 70, who still has a sparkle in his eye, a spring in his step and an affable smile. After being seated it was just a matter of time until my daughter asked why she had never heard about World War II and he replied that he didn’t think it was worth talking about. He and Pat are headed out to Belgium shortly to meet up with the other 2 survivors of his B-24 crew, who will then be honored by the residents of the town of Leefdaal in Belgium. And no, we didn’t hear a lot of war stories as he always seemed to put the focus on his crew, the townspeople and the “smiling schoolboy who had come with his grandfather to greet the Americans”.
Oh, his favorite was a red chili burro, enchilada style.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know about the red chili burrito enchilada style...he got me hooked on it also. I am glad you were able to meet him and have a nice dinner. Thank you to your daughter. She is a wonderful friend.